LES CROWDER hives are mindfully and lovingly hand-crafted of 2" untreated pine lumber for maximum insulation.
The corrugated raised roof offers rain protection and maximum air flow over the bars in the Summer, as well as addition of insulation material in the Winter - which makes them the best insulated hives we know (2" lumber is twice as insulating as the 1" grade wood used for Langs or other top-bar hives, more insulating than 1" cedar). Roof can be held in place with ties or weights. Entrance holes can be closed with wine corks.
Basic version has no legs, no center partition and no disk entrance reducers but you may add those as options.
Pickup at the HCBA Store only once you receive readiness notification and instructions (or contact BeeMindfulHoneyFarms@gmail.com for onsite installation service)
Each hive has 3 cleated topbars for starter guides
- Removable partition to allow for 2 colonies to be hosted in the hive
- Modular disk entrance reducers (settings allow for queen exclusion, transport and full opening).
Advantages of a Top Bar Hive:
- Can host 2 colonies once partitioned
- No heavy box lifting ever
- No need for equipment storage (empty boxes, frames)
- No additional equipment ever needed as the colony grows
- Easier space management (only in the horizontal plan)
- Lots of comb honey and wax (more valuable than honey)
- Less stress on the bees (pull only a few bars for opening, no empty cavity above the brood's nest ever)
- Calmer bees, less intimidating management
- No hiding places for Small Hive Beetles