These are highly popular and difficult to keep in stock in the Spring, so get yourself on the list by placing your order then kindly await for pickup instructions as we build them for you.
4ft long - Heavy Duty 2-in-1 Double Top-Bar Hive (19" wide - same length as a Langstroth frame) with corrugated tin roof
BUDGET TOP-BAR HIVE (Single or Double)
These 2-in-1 hives feature an optional REMOVABLE partition so you may raise 2 separate colonies to increase the size of your apiary OR adjust to one big colony for increased honey production. Each end has separate entrances.
- These artisan hives are not outsourced, but mindfully and lovingly hand-crafted by the beekeepers themselves, Les Crowder and Nathalie Biggie.
- They are made out of sturdy 2" untreated pine lumber for maximum insulation and protection of your bees, as well as durability.
- The corrugated raised roof offers rain protection and maximum air flow over the bars in the Summer, as well as addition of insulation material in the Winter - which makes them the best insulated hives we know (2" lumber is twice as insulating as the 1" grade wood used for Langs or other top-bar hives, more insulating than 1" cedar). Roof can be held in place with ties or weights.
- Bars are the recommended standard of 19" long (17" or shorter are to be avoided because they make for deeper and narrower combs that tend to collapse and/or attach to the side walls a lot more)
- Basic version has no legs, no center partition and no disk entrance reducers but you may add those as options.
- Entrance holes may be closed with wine corks or with entrance disc reducers (optional)
- Each hive compartment comes with 3 cleated topbars for starter guides (6 total).
- To populate Top-Bar Hives, we recommend purchasing a Top-Bar NUC from us, or a package of bees (check www.HaysCountyBeekeepers.com/store for availability and pickup in Austin and greater area).
Advantages of Top-Bar Beekeeping
- Can host 2 colonies once partitioned
- No heavy box lifting ever
- No need for equipment storage (empty boxes, frames)
- No additional equipment ever needed as the colony grows
- Easier space management (only in the horizontal plan)
- Lots of comb honey and wax (more valuable than honey)
- Less stress on the bees (pull only a few bars for opening, no empty cavity above the brood's nest ever)
- Calmer bees, less intimidating management
- No hiding places for Small Hive Beetles
- Options Available
Option Add-On Cost Legs 30 Removable partition to allow for 2 colonies to be hosted in the hive $15 Set of 2 modular disk entrance reducers (settings allow for queen exclusion, transport and full opening $10
NO SHIPPING, PICKUP ONLY AT THE HANDMADE STORE, 12919 Nutty Brown Road, AUSTIN TX 78737 (these are made by hand so you will get notified via email when your order is fulfilled and your hive is ready for pickup).